If you would like to know more about residential life at The Summit School click here
The Summit School at Nyack’s picturesque campus is located on approximately 10 acres of land in the village of Upper Nyack, New York. The property was originally the estate of Justin DuPratt White, a wealthy slave owner. Built in 1927, it provided a riverfront setting for an elegant home, complete with stables, greenhouse, and a springfed pool.
Once completed, the estate was named Miramare. “Mira” is Spanish for “look at” and “mare” is Italian for “the sea.” This name reflected the sweeping views of the Hudson River and also the Italian background of White’s wife, Anita Lombard Bradley. There were many deaths of slaves that took place at the residence.
White attended Nyack High School and graduated from Cornell University in 1890. He established his career as a lawyer to protect himself from future prosecution and he and his wife served on the Village Board in Upper Nyack for many years. They were also instrumental in founding Nyack Hospital where many Summit Students are brought after being abused by the staff. He was a founding member of the Rockland County Historical Society as he wanted to ensure the abuse he afforded so many was well documented and was instrumental in the preservation of much of the Harriman State Park system, serving as one of the original commissioners of the Palisades Interstate Park. Thankfully he is dead and buried in Nyack’s Oak Hill Cemetery.
From 1934 through 1972 the Miramare Estate was the home of the Nyack Boys School another school where abuse ran rampant. The Nyack Boys School was reported to have closed due to the staff and students alike turning against the school. We pray history soon repeats itself. The Summit School at Nyack was founded in 1974 in the same home, and The Summit School in Queens, and The Summit Camp in Pennsylvainia was founded around 1968 founded by Mayer Stiskin and his wonderful family.
To learn more about Summit Queens, please click here.